Time and time again I hear about people complaining about not having enough money to travel. I'm here to prove those people wrong.
"How did you do it?" I've had many people ask me that question over the past two weeks. However, more often times the question has been "How can I do it?" Maybe you're one of those people. You could be toying with the idea of doing an inter rail trip across Europe and maybe see flying as an alternative option (it was the cheaper option for me anyway!). If so, then this blog post is for you. I want to show you how you can book ridiculously cheap flights.
To provide some context for people who haven't seen my recent vlog series, I recently embarked on a journey travelling to 7 countries in 7 days (Belgium, Germany, Italy, France, Portugal, Spain, The Netherlands). The best part is that I booked all 8 flights for a measly €124.56! If you want to catch up on the vlogs just click here or you can also scroll to the bottom of this blog post.
For those of you who are up to date and have seen all or some of the vlogs, I want to quickly thank you for having such a keen interest in the vlogs and this project in general. Luckily enough I've gained a little bit of attention after completing the project, having done three radio interviews last week and also having a news article written about the entire journey. I've also had a number of people messaging me, looking for more information on this trip in particular and information on travel in general. All of this has me really excited for other projects to come! In the coming weeks and months I'll be creating more video, photo and written content, so hopefully it will be somewhat valuable to you. (and maybe somewhat entertaining!)
HOW TO DO IT
A few points to take note of before continuing:
- You are not limited to 7 countries when booking flights using this method. It's possible to book flights to even more destinations at a cheap rate. You may only want to book return flights to one destination also which is totally fine.
- As you can see in the vlogs I travelled to all 7 countries in 7 days. However, the purpose of that was to make the project more interesting. You can spend as many days as you like in each destination (depending on your type of visa/passport of course.)
- If you want to book the cheapest flights, you have to be quite flexible when booking dates to travel on. However sometimes you can be lucky with specific dates.
- The method I'm about to show you may require a lot of trial and error. Other than that though, you're good to go!
- Finally, I suggest carrying out all of these steps on a desktop or laptop instead of a mobile device. Yes, it is possible to do all of this on your phone's web browser but using a desktop or laptop will be a lot easier.
Open up your preferred web browser on your laptop or computer and go to: https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/cheap-flights
(Note: This page cannot be accessed through the Ryanair app for android or iOS devices. It can only be accessed using a web browser i.e. Safari, Chrome, Mozilla, etc.)
Choose the airport you wish to fly out of. In this case it's Dublin. Now select "€20 and under" as your budget and click "Let's go."
You will now be presented with a variety of locations that you can fly to for STUPIDLY cheap prices. Select your desired destination and then select a cheap date to fly out on. In this case I'll select Brussels Charleroi for €14.99.
You will now be presented with a a full month of flights to choose from. (Note: you can view flights available in other months also) Select the cheapest and most convenient date to fly out on. In this case I've chosen, Monday 6th March for €14.99. If none of the dates presented suit you, then return to the previous page and select another desirable location. When finished selecting the date hit the yellow "Continue" button located on the top right.
Once you have selected your first flight and you're happy with the price, the date and the time that the flight leaves, open up a new tab and return to step number one. Instead this time I will be choosing to fly out of Brussels Charleroi. I'll then find out what the cheapest flights are from Brussels Charleroi airport. I will then continue to repeat the whole process until I create a suitable route that brings me back to my original destination.
And there it is. It's that simple. It may take a few hours to create a suitable route that will work for you but it will be worth the money you save!
I hope this has been helpful in some way. If you want you can also watch a video of myself explaining how to do it. Just click here or scroll down below.